Welcome to the APHES website
This 2-week course aims to familiarize health professionals with epidemiological techniques to assess the health impact of disasters and conflicts on affected communities.
How the course will be run
Interactive classes will be given by international experts with extensive experience in humanitarian settings. These will be complemented by exercise sessions where the concepts taught will be put into practice.
Case studies will be presented and a simulation exercise will be held under the supervision and guidance of international experts. This will allow the students to put the knowledge acquired during the theoretical classes into practice. The course will cover following topics: nutrition, mortality, water and sanitation, reproductive health, food security and infectious diseases. Evaluation will be based on a written exam (multiple choice and short open questions).
This course is open to middle-carrer professionals with some experience in the humanitarian and emergency sectors. Training and experience in public health, medicine, emergency response or related topics are required.
We strive to have a diversified group of participants, balancing gender, organizational and geographical representation. Participant selection is based on the candidate's profile, examined through the application form and CV, and based on the requirements mentioned above.
3 July, 2017 (9:30 am) to 14 July, 2017 (6 pm) total: 10 days
- Participation fees: 1750 Euros;
- UCL Alumni - Erasmus Mundus programmes (NOHA and EMMPHID) are eligible to 50% discount of the tuition fees. Others may be qualified for a reduced cote;
- The course registration fee covers coursework, printed materials, coffee breaks and lunches;
- Participant fees must be deposited and received by CRED by June 15, 2017; otherwise, participation will be cancelled;
- No reimbursement will be made on cancellations after June 22, 2017.
Registration will open soon.
Location and Accommodations
The course is located in Brussels, Belgium.
Special rates are also available in two hotels in the center of Brussels (50-70 € /night breakfast included).
More about the accomodations and the location.
Classes will be taught in English. English proficiency is required.